Kathy Edwards, Ph.D.
Management Dept., CBA 6.458
McCombs School of Business
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas 78712
UT Courses Taught
University of Texas at Austin. McCombs School of Business. Management Department (2000-2006). College of Education (1997-2001). Master’s in Human Resource Development Leadership Program.
Fall 1997-Spring 2006:
Art & Science of Negotiation
Group and Interpersonal Skills
Small Group Facilitation
Program Planning and Evaluation
Facilitating Adult Learning
Adult Learning & Development
Professional Seminar in Adult Education
Other Academic Activities
Action Learning Facilitator-University of Texas at Austin and University of Ballarat, Ballarat, Australia.
Master’s Report Reader-Served as reader for 30+ professional reports
Dissertation Committees-Served on 13 dissertation committees
- University of Texas at Austin, 1997 to present;
Lecturer, Management Department (2000-2006)
Program Facilitator, Adult Education Human and Organizational Learning Program and Master's in Human Resource Development Leadership
Program, Fall 1997-Spring 2001;
Lecturer, College of Education, 1997-2002;
Research Assistant and Action Learning Facilitator, 1996-97.
- The Training Institute - Founder and Director, 1987 - present;
Training and organizational development consultation to organizations.
- Austin State Hospital, 1989 - 1995
Human Resource Development Assistant Director, Duties include serving as Director of Training, Wellness Coordinator, and Employee Assistance Director.
- Mental Health Association - 1979 -1987;
Executive Director, MHA Austin Area, 1985 - 1987;
Associate Director, MHA in Texas, 1983 - 1984;
Director of Development, MHA in Texas, 1981- 1983;
Education Director, MHA in Tarrant County, 1979 -1981.
- Buyer and Manager, Mannings Sports Centers, 1977 - 1978.
- Health, Physical Education Teacher and Coach, 1972-77;
Aledo High School, Aledo, Texas 1975 -1977;
Ganado High School, Navajo Indian Reservation, Ganado, Arizona, 1972 – 1975.
- Part-time Positions
Seton Hospital Good Health School, Instructor, 1990 - 1995;
University of Texas, Extension, Curriculum and Instruction Materials Writer, 1985-87;St. Edward's University, Rural Upward Bound Program Specialist, 1983;Texas Christian University, NCAA Sports Program Instructor, 1971
Consultation and Training
-Austin Police Department-Training in Project Management for the Training Academy
-Tri-State Medical Supply-Training in Negotiation for Buyers
-LBJ School Program for Public Managers-Training in Leading Learning
- Workshop Leader - Provided workshops and seminars to over 20,000 persons on topics such as "Communicating with Caring," "Before the Sparks Fly," and "Coaching for Quality." Presentations to such organizations as Texas Pharmaceutical Association, National Council of Community MHMR Centers, Texas Commerce Bank, Austin Human Resource Development Association, Leadership Austin, Lake Austin Resort, National Rural Electric Cooperatives, Texas Health Care Association and Texas Department of Health Long Term Care Conference.
- Conference Planner - Arranges leadership seminars and workshops on current topics of interest to the community. Among the organizations which have sent employees to The Training Institute's seminars are IBM, 3M, Dell Computer, Seton Hospital, St. David's Hospital, HCA South Austin Community Hospital, HCA Shoal Creek Hospital, Healthcare International, and Abbott Laboratories.
- Consultation - Expertise in organizational behavior and development, negotiation and mediation, team building, group facilitation, conflict management, communication, and quality improvement. According to one corporate president, "It's simply easier to go ahead and move the mountain than it is to explain to Kathy why it can't be done." Also experienced in all aspects of instructional design, including needs assessment, task analysis, competency assessment, curriculum development, formative and summative evaluation.
Initiated and staffed many innovative programs including the development of:
- Special Friends - a volunteer mental health program for nursing home residents. Received a special citation from the Governor's Office of Volunteers for role in this project.
- Wellness Works - a health and fitness program for 1,300 employees of the
state hospital. Included events such as an annual health fair, classes in physical fitness, smoking cessation, etc.
- A.R.T.-ASH Response Team - provided critical incident stress debriefings to persons who have been involved in traumatic incidents as part of their job.
- Mental Health at Work - an educational program to provide mental health education to corporations and their employees.
- Feelings in Rural Texas: Farm and Ranch Stress - a workshop and audio-visual presentation for use with rural families experiencing stress.
- Families Who've Been There - a mutual support group for families of persons
who have experienced mental illness.
- Employee Assistance Program - Provided individual information and referral,
crisis counseling, conflict management, and team building consultation to all
employees of the hospital. Program grew from 17 client contacts in the first year to over 140 during the last year. Served an average of 10% of the hospital staff each year.
Initiated the establishment of an endowed scholarship for UT UMA undergraduate business students-2005.
Conducted multiple fund raising campaigns including special events, corporate gifts, grant development and management, and membership drives. Developed model for the most successful membership campaign in the nation for the Mental Health Association. System adopted and published by the national organization as a model for chapters throughout the country.
Identity Development and Collaborative Inquiry - Collaborated with Dr. Ann Brooks on three collaborative inquiry projects related to women's identity issues. Conducted dissertation research in this area.
Mental Health Needs Assessment - Developed a model for community mental health needs assessments with Dr. Lynne Gilfillan. Conducted assessments for the Mental Health Association in Texas. The model has been adopted by the National Mental Health Association as part of their resource development system.
Health Consulting - worked with Linda Donelson as a researcher on the following projects:
- Year 2000, Texas Council of Community MHMR Centers-Research and
interviews to determine community service needs by the year 2000.
- Montgomery County, Maryland, Department of Corrections-Review of literature and plan for services for the Mentally Ill and Mentally Retarded Offender.
- Advocacy, Inc.-State plan for implementing new Federal Protection and
Advocacy law for persons with mental illnesses in Texas.
- RAJ Panel-State of Texas-National survey of state mandated services for
Community MHMR Centers.
Current Research Interests:
Conflict management, group facilitation, mediation, negotiation, and organizational behavior.
Dr. Edwards Deming's Quality Workshop
Critical Incident Stress Debriefing Training
Team Facilitation Training
Texas Teacher and School Counselor Certification
Academy of Human Resource Development
Academy of Management
Association of Conflict Resolution
International Association of Facilitators
International Journal of Qualitative Research in Education, Editorial Board
Past President, National Society of Fund Raising Executives, Austin, Texas Chapter
American Personnel and Guidance Association
University of Texas Careers Committee
Tarrant County Jr. College, MHMR Advisory Committee
Navajo Nation Family Planning Board of Directors
Intergovernmental Training Council
University of Texas Chancellor’s Council